History of the Baton Rouge Clinic, AMC
|Dr. Joseph Sabatier|
In 1946, four physicians returning from World War II established The Baton Rouge Clinic. Our founders, Drs. Cheney Joseph, Joe Sabatier, Mortimer Silvey and Gerald Joseph attended Tulane Medical School together and worked together as residents at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. The idea of a group practice, especially a multispecialty practice, was a new concept at that time. Some physicians ridiculed the idea and some even declared it unethical. Our founders were ahead of their time. They understood the value of physicians working together both in terms of improved patient care and better efficiency. The original location of The Baton Rouge Clinic was 2221 Plank Road above the Pig and Whistle Restaurant.
|Dr. Cheney Joseph|
From its inauspicious beginnings, The Baton Rouge Clinic has grown into the largest group medical practice in a multiple parish area. By 1949, Drs. Melvin Schudmak, Charles Mosley and Charles Prosser joined the original partners. The group needed more space and relocated to Madison Avenue. The practice continued to grow and in 1950 moved into a new building on North 19th Street where it remained until 1975. On July 4, 1975, the Clinic again relocated to a modern facility on Goodwood Boulevard. A 16,000 square foot addition was completed in 1990.
|Dr. Mortimer Silvey|
The decade of the 1990s was a period of expansion for the Clinic. On August 1, 1991, the Clinic merged with Internal Medicine Associates, a group of six internists. The Clinic merged with three pediatric groups: The Pediatric Group on September 1, 1996, the Bombet, Wood, Ramey Clinic on September 1, 1997 and the Hill Tribou Clinic on February 1, 1998. The Clinic operated a number of satellite locations until October 1999 when the operations were condensed into two campuses, Goodwood Boulevard and the new building at 7373 Perkins Road. In June 2001 the Clinic was again housed under one roof, this time at the Perkins campus. Over the past 12 years, the Clinic has also added new departments including Allergy, ENT, Child Neurology, Physical Medicine, and Vascular Surgery.
As we enter a new century, The Baton Rouge Clinic remains a regional center of health care excellence. We remain committed to providing the highest quality care for our patients. We will undoubtedly continue to grow both in our size but more importantly in our contributions to our community.