This delicious chocolate cake works for any diet. Made with black beans and cocoa, it’s gluten-free, diabetic-friendly and heart healthy. The eggs give it a light lift. No one will ever know healthy black beans were slipped in for a velvety smooth texture.
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
5 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
6 Tbsp Dutch process cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 pint fresh raspberries, plus additional for garnish
2 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar, plus additional for garnish
1 tsp lemon fresh juice
Lemon zest, for garnish
Fresh mint, for garnish
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and dust with cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the beans with a hand mixer until smooth. Add in 3 of the eggs, vanilla, salt and mix until smooth. Add coconut oil and honey and mix to combine. Add the remaining 2 eggs and mix.
- In separate bowl, sift together cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Add the cocoa powder mixture to the egg mixture. Beat on high for approximately 1 minute, or until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until top is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a cooling rack and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- For the raspberry sauce: Place raspberries in a bowl. Sift confectioners’ sugar on top. Add lemon juice. Pour into a blender and purée until smooth. Strain raspberry mixture through a fine sieve and discard seeds. Refrigerate until serving.
- Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar. Serve cake with raspberry sauce and garnish with fresh raspberries, lemon zest and mint.
Serving size: 1 1/2-inch slice
Per Serving: Calories: 165, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 77mg, Sodium: 253mg, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 5g, Protein: 5g
Copyright 2019-2020 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: October 31, 2019
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD