Diabetic, Gluten Free & Heart Healthy
When the kids come home looking for a quick after school snack, these peanut butter apple treats will keep them going til dinner. Try different healthy toppings for crunchy, sweet texture and flavor.
3 Granny Smith apples
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup dark chocolate
1/4 cup peanut butter
Toasted coconut flakes (optional)
Chopped almonds (optional)
- Slice the apples into 12 1/4-inch thick slices. With a paring knife, core the apple slices. Sprinkle the cut apple slices with lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate in 20 second intervals. Stir and repeat until melted.
- In a small bowl, microwave the peanut butter for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the melted chocolate and the melted peanut butter to two separate resealable plastic bags. Snip the edges of the bags for piping. (Alternatively, use a spatula or spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate and/or peanut butter over the apples.)
- Place the apple slices on wax paper and drizzle with the chocolate and/or peanut butter and top with your favorite toppings. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 slice apple
Per Serving: Calories: 85 Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 2mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 2g Protein: 2g
Copyright 2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: May 5, 2021
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD