Diabetic & Heart Healthy
Here’s a delicious meal of succulent grilled steak and refreshing spinach and bean salad that will keep both meat and veggie-lovers happy and healthy.
2 lbs flank steak
4 Tbsp cracked peppercorns
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp honey
1/8 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch pieces
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 red onion, thinly sliced
6 oz baby spinach or arugula
- Lightly tenderize steak with a mallet. Dust with cracked peppercorns. Press peppercorns into steak with the palm of hand.
- Lightly coat a grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to high.
- Grill steak for 10 to 15 minutes for medium rare, or until desired doneness, turning halfway through cooking time. Remove steak from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lime juice, honey, salt and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine bell pepper, black beans, black-eyed peas, onion and spinach. Toss with the dressing to combine. Transfer salad to a platter and top with sliced steak.
Serving size: 3 oz flank steak 1 cup salad
Per Serving: Calories: 213; Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 32mg; Sodium: 86mg; Carbohydrates: 11g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 23g
Copyright 2016-2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD