These chocolate meringue ice cream sandwiches are light, sweet and super low calorie.
We use raspberry sorbet for the filling, but fat-free frozen yogurt or fat-free ice cream tastes great too. This is an easy low-fat dessert recipe.
3 ozs dark chocolate chips
4 large egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsps unsweetened sifted cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups raspberry sorbet or fat free vanilla frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips on high for 20 seconds, stir, and continue to microwave at 10-second intervals until melted.
- In a bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar and beat with an electric mixer on medium until stiff peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla until glossy and thickened, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for 30 seconds more on high speed. Lightly fold in the melted chocolate and cocoa. Do not overmix.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of meringue 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until just firm when pressed on top. Remove from oven and let stand on baking sheets for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer cookies on parchment paper to wire racks to cool completely.
- Let sorbet soften about 5 minutes. Spread 1 tablespoon sorbet on the flat side of 20 meringues. Top with remaining meringues, and freeze sandwiches until sorbet is set, about 15 minutes. Sandwiches keep, wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen, for up to 1 week.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Per Serving: Calories: 54, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 14mg, Carbohydrates: 11g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 1g
Copyright 2017-2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD