Diabetic, Gluten Free & Heart Healthy
2 red medium beets
12 hard cooked eggs, cooled and peeled
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp minced shallots
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (gluten free if needed)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (gluten free if needed)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange beets in a baking pan. Cover with foil, and bake about 60 to 80 minutes, or until fork tender. Roasting time may vary depending on size of the beets. When cooled, peel beets (use a paper towel to avoid staining hands) and slice.
- Dry eggs and halve lengthwise. Scoop yolks out and transfer yolks to a medium bowl. Refrigerate yolks, covered.
- In an 11 x 17-inch glass baking dish, arrange beet slices in a single layer. Arrange egg halves, cut side down, on top of beets. Refrigerate, covered in plastic wrap, until eggs are stained pink, at least 3 hours or overnight for a deeper color.
- Remove eggs from baking dish and reserve half the beets. Transfer reserved beets to a small bowl and toss with the lime juice. Set aside. (Remaining beets can be reserved for another use.)
- In another bowl, combine the reserved egg yolks, shallot, jalapeño, yogurt, mustard, paprika, salt and 1 tablespoon water and stir until smooth, thinning with additional water if necessary. Spoon yolk mixture into pink egg halves.
- Chop the beets that are tossed with the lime juice.
- Top eggs with beet mixture and mint.
Other Healthy Recipes
Copyright 2016-2022 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD