Our skilled board-certified Bariatric surgeons are post-residency trained in both robotic and laparoscopic surgical procedures as well as the gastric sleeve procedure. There is no perfect surgery for everyone or “one-size-fits-all” procedure. In our program, we interview each patient, assess their needs, and allow the patient to choose which procedure meets those needs.
What is unique about Bariatric Surgery?
- Has a unique mode of action that allows for metabolic change versus caloric restriction, as with dieting
- Has the greatest weight loss results of any treatment option
- Has the longest weight loss duration of any treatment option
- Has the ability to reduce or resolve obesity related conditions, risks, and the need for supplemental medicines
- Has shown to significantly improve quality of life
- May reduce the risk of mortality
What are the different options for Weight Loss Surgery?
- During the gastric sleeve procedure, a thin vertical sleeve of stomach is created using a stapling device. The sleeve is about the size of a banana. The rest of the stomach is removed.
- How it works to help you lose weight: By creating a smaller stomach pouch, a sleeve gastrectomy limits the amount of food that can be eaten at one time, so you feel full sooner and stay full longer. As you eat less food, your body will stop storing excess calories and start using its fat supply for energy.
- How it affects digestion: Does not significantly alter normal digestion and absorption. Food passes through the digestive tract in the usual order, allowing it to be fully absorbed in the body.
- Requires no placement of an artificial device in the body
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
- In this procedure, the surgeon creates a small stomach pouch using a stapling device and attaches a section of the small intestine directly to the pouch. This allows food to bypass a portion of the small intestine.
- How it works to help you lose weight: By creating a smaller stomach pouch, a gastric bypass limits the amount of food that can be eaten at one time, so you feel full sooner and stay full longer. By bypassing a portion of the small intestine, your body also absorbs fewer calories. As you eat less food and absorb fewer calories, your body will stop storing excess calories and start using its fat supply for energy.
- How it affects digestion: Reduces the amount of calories (in the form of nutrients) absorbed.
Health benefits for patients can include a loss of excess body weight, lower blood pressure, better control of type 2 diabetes, a reduction in cholesterol levels, and more.
Watch this video to learn the effects of bariatric surgery
If you have more questions and need to speak to one of our team members, please call 225-246-9222 to contact the Baton Rouge Clinic Surgical Weight Loss program coordinator. Surgical weight loss is intended for those individuals who either have metabolic disorders with significant obesity or for those with morbid obesity who have attempted conservative weight loss measures and have failed to achieve their weight loss goals.
Testimonials are essential to the growth of our Bariatric Weight Loss program.
Visit our Testimonials page to view testimonials from some of our wonderful patients!
A different kind of vitamin…
Even among bariatric supplements, not all vitamins are created equal. Many products do not contain adequate levels of vitamins and minerals to properly support your nutritional needs following surgery. Celebrate Bariatric Supplements is the ONLY company to provide you with 4 delivery system options while maintaining consistent supplementation.
Celebrate Bariatric Supplements provides options and lets you make the choice. There are three basic delivery systems available (way to take your vitamins).
- Drink mix
There is a variety of great tasting supplements for you to enjoy, including flavors from caramel and chocolate to cranberry-grape and lemon cream.
Simply put, Celebrate Bariatric Supplements are the most economically priced bariatric supplements available.
Daily Path is a unique system that provides guidance on what products to take (and when to use them) following bariatric surgery. You may choose to follow your path exactly, or consult with your physician to change it to fit your needs. You may view your Daily Path here.