It’s easier than you think to make ice cream that’s good for you and tastes great, too!
There’s nothing quite like digging your spoon into a bowl of cool creamy goodness when you’re craving something sweet. In fact, when people are asked what their favorite indulgent treat is, many put ice cream at the top of their list. But while there’s certainly something to be said for the taste of this confectionary treat and the feelings it evokes when you eat it, having too much of the “good stuff” on a regular basis may derail your commitment to healthy eating.
So what are you to do if you love ice cream? There’s no reason to deny yourself something that’s so pleasurable on so many levels. But unless you’re willing to throw in the towel on a healthy diet to repeatedly indulge in treats loaded with fat, sugar and calories, it’s best to find ways to enjoy ice cream in a healthier manner.
Some people choose to relegate ice cream to something that is only eaten out of the house on occasion. This makes it easier to control portion size and how often you eat it. But if you want to enjoy ice cream at home, have no fear—there are also a number of ways you can whip up this frozen confection in a healthier way.
Here are 5 tips for making healthy ice cream at home:
- Get your tools ready. If you have an ice cream maker, you’re certainly ahead of the game. But even if you don’t, you can make ice cream with a blender, food processor, hand mixer or just a spoon and some elbow grease. Then pop in the freezer to make the magic happen.
- Choose recipes just for you. The beauty of making your own ice cream is that you can make sure it fits your dietary needs. So whether you want it to be vegan, keto, gluten-free, dairy-free or low-sugar, you can find loads of recipes online to make that happen.
- Get creative with your base. One healthy way to add sweetness, flavor and texture is to start with a base of frozen fruit. Try bananas, berries, cherries, mangos, peaches or pineapple. Another trendy way to make healthier ice cream is to use low-fat cottage cheese as the base. Plain Greek yogurt also makes for a creamy and protein-rich concoction.
- Add spices and flavorings generously. You won’t miss all that added sugar when your ice cream is infused with quality ingredients and vibrant tastes. From vanilla beans and cocoa powder to cinnamon, maple syrup, mint or cardamom, there’s no end to the flavor combinations you can create.
- Add a pop of pizzazz. You won’t be left wanting for more when there’s something enticing to sink your teeth into. Consider adding chunks of fruit, a swirl of peanut butter, a sprinkle of sea salt or some nuts, chocolate chips or coconut flakes. A drizzle of chocolate, honey or caramel can also take your treat to the next level.
Copyright 2023 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Health eCooks™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: May 15, 2023
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Learn more about Baldwin Publishing Inc., , and .
No information provided by Baldwin Publishing, Inc. in any article is a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical condition. Baldwin Publishing, Inc. strongly suggests that you use this information in consultation with your doctor or other health professional. Use or viewing of any Baldwin Publishing, Inc. article signifies your understanding and agreement to the disclaimer and acceptance of these.