Prepare this easy stuffing in a baking dish, or use it to stuff the turkey. This healthy stuffing gets its sweetness from the apples and a unique flavor from the onion and walnut combination.
30 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 egg plus 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tsp sage
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 Granny Smith apples, cubed
Black pepper to taste
- On a large baking sheet, toast bread cubes in oven. Allow the toasted bread to sit approximately 24 hours, until hard.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a large ovenproof baking dish (9 x 13 inch) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the onion and celery and slowly cook until soft. Remove from heat.
- Add the eggs, chicken broth and breadcrumbs to onion mixture. Mix together thoroughly. Mix in the rubbed sage, garlic powder, walnuts, apples and pepper.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is browned and crisp.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Per Serving: Calories: 209, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 16mg, Sodium: 369mg, Carbohydrates: 28g, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 7g
Copyright 2016-2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD