Gluten Free & Heart Healthy
Here’s a sunny bowl of goodness filled with protein, fiber and healthy fats. The sweet and citrusy dressing works great on chicken, too.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (gluten free if needed)
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp sriracha sauce
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp tamari
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 large oranges, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cucumbers, cut into 1-inch chunks
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/8 tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp minced red onion
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain well. Transfer the quinoa to a medium saucepan and add the broth. Bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the orange juice, sriracha, honey, tamari, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Reserve three-quarters of the dressing for serving. In the bowl with the remaining quarter of the dressing, add the shrimp and toss to coat. Marinate the shrimp, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oranges, cucumbers, scallions, and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon lime juice. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches if needed, cook the shrimp until charred in spots and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Divide quinoa among bowls. Top with the shrimp, citrus salad, avocado and red onion. Drizzle with the reserved dressing.
Serving size: 1 cup
Per Serving: Calories: 373 Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 172mg Sodium: 471mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 6g Protein: 27g
Other Healthy Recipes
Copyright 2020-2022 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: January 20, 2020
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Jane Schwartz, RDN, CLT